[Bldg-sim] Remote Sensing and Real Time Analysis

Pablo La Roche pmlaroche at csupomona.edu
Sun Apr 10 21:29:37 PDT 2011

Arpan

If you want to take a look at another course in which architecture students design, build and test smal scale buildings take a look at the open group inside facebook called: arc331 2011

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_145994008788777

Students had to design and evaluate an emergency shelter in california. Scroll down to the videos of their work and their boards to get a sense of the project.

A bit on the assignement:

You will design and build a very small pod with a volume of approximately 100 cubic ft (for example 4*4*6.25ft) that can be used as an emergency shelter. In this pod you will be temporarily protected from outdoor conditions in disaster situations in which no services are available. Thus, the main objective is that it must provide thermal comfort without any energy use. The pod should be designed and tested for Pomona (Climate Zone 9) so that it can operate autonomously in this climate without any heating and cooling. Because materials might also be scarce you can use any material that you desire in its construction, preferable those that help to provide a very small carbon footprint (low embodied energy, recycled or recyclable). You can use operable systems (manual or electrical if you use renewable energy). Water and waste don’t have to –but can- be considered in this project.

There are four environmental variables that determine our level of physical thermal comfort: air temperature, mean radiant temperature, relative humidity and air velocity. To determine comfort you are going to measure air temperature and relative humidity. This means that you will make the following assumptions: mean radiant temperature is equal to air temperature, air velocity is below 0.5 m/s, clothing level is 1 Clo and metabolic rate is 1 met.

To determine thermal performance of the capsule you must use your thermometer / hygrometer and you must measure temperature and relative humidity inside and outside your comfort cell for a period of at least 18 hours, between 6 AM and 12 Midnight. Your objective is to achieve more hours in comfort inside your cell than outdoors and have 80% of the measured hours in comfort during the 18 hour period. You should explain why comfort was or was not achieved during this period. This explanation is as important as the results achieved.

To increase the understanding of the relationship between environmental controls and structural systems, this project will be developed together with your structures course. Before construction you must submit appropriate drawings for approval to your structures instructor.

Pablo

Pablo La Roche Ph.D. LEED-AP
Associate Professor
Department of Architecture