[Bldg-sim] RE : Infiltration effect in Climate 1

Genest, Frederic fgenest at pageaumorel.com
Mon Aug 1 18:02:46 PDT 2011

Hello Richard.

I'm not used to eQuest, but since it is using DOE in the background, same as EE4 I'm using more frequently, I'll try to answer correctly.

Climate Zone has nothing to do with infiltration rates, except when in comes to wind speed and such. However, I don't think DOE is considering wind speed when calculating infiltration rates; it is usually defined as a constant, based on a value such as ACH or cfm/ft.sq. of wall area.

As such, I would start to check your infiltration inputs to see what is defined, first in eQuest and then in the DOE input file. I'm pretty sure you'll find your answer somewhere there.

Also note that design infiltration rate and "actual, under operating conditions" infiltration rate, are two different things. The average constant infiltration rate is adequate enough for the later one.

Also, if you ever need to model a real infiltration from blower door test results, I personnaly use the 50 Pa value divided by 20 for actual, normal operation conditions, while the 75 Pa value would be divided by 35 (in whatever units those values are provided).

Regards.

Frederic Genest, ing., M.Sc.A.
LEED AP, ASHRAE HBDP
fgenest at pageaumorel.com

Pageau Morel et associés
210 Cremazie Ouest, suite 110
Montréal, Qc H2P 1C6
T) 514-382-5150 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              514-382-5150      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              514-382-5150      end_of_the_skype_highlighting  F)514-384-9872
www.pageaumorel.com