[Bldg-sim] LEED 2009 Modelling - Electric Vehicles and Rainwater Cisterns

Dahlstrom, Aaron ADahlstrom at in-posse.com
Wed Aug 10 07:06:01 PDT 2011

Aaron -

I agree with Kevin - my understanding is, if the load is served from the building meter and located within the LEED boundary, it should be included in the LEED model.

Both items would show up in the design and the baseline, as process energy consumers.

There is a tradeoff between water efficiency and energy efficiency that is made when a building decides to install its own water pressurization pumps. I'm not sure if your municipal water supply system has the controllability to reduce its water pressurization pumping energy based on your use of recovered water - but I haven't had the chance to work on those systems before, and I'm not sure how those systems are assembled.

If there are any efficiency measures on the rainwater pump that would be considered above "documented industry standard", you could look at documenting a reduction from the baseline via an Exceptional Calculation method.

That said, I imagine that the key thing for both loads would be determining a realistic schedule of use. You might find that the electric charging station in particular has a high peak power draw but a relatively low consumption, due to limited hours of use.

In line with Kevin's suggestion - if the electric vehicles are replacing fleet vehicles that would "traditionally" be sourced from another fuel, there may be an opportunity to claim a different baseline and show savings. But if they are just for visitors / employees, you might just use a baseline that is identical to your design.

Aaron Dahlstrom , PE, LEED(r) AP
In Posse - A subsidiary of AKF| 1500 Walnut Street, Suite 1414, Philadelphia, PA 19102
d: 215-282-6753| m: 267-507-5470| In Posse: 215-282-6800| AKF: 215-735-7290