[Bldg-sim] DOAS and baseline OA

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. poleary1969 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:12:21 PDT 2011

fancy meeting you here reba ;-)

1. the quote from the user's manual is verbatim, and 90.1 itself also
refers to it as "proposed and baseline designs"
2. depending on your leed review team the potential difference between
proposed and baseline may not be caught.  that really depends (like
anything else) on the specific reviewer's knowledge of 90.1/user's
manual.  i've done it the same way you have over the years and not
received a comment on it for packaged system but did have a comment on
it for a project with both packaged and evap cooler systems in a
firestation or two ago.  i think how non-packaged/non-vav systems might
be more of a key in how to interpret it.

3. neither the handbook, or standard, to my knowledge specifically calls
out ashrae 62 calculations as the minimum in the actual text of the
relevant section.  if you were modeling to the 2000/3/6/9 international
mechanical code i would think it would apply the same way.  specifically
for leed purposes though the baseline is ashrae 62 so i will comment
around its requirements as it also impacts ieqc2.  but i can see how the
"minimum designed" might be interpreted differently than the "minimum
calculated" by ashrae 62.

thinking out loud for a minute, as engineers designing a system how do
we approach the outside air calculations and how do we show compliance
for plan review or leed purposes?  typically we first look at the
project, what type of zoning we want, what systems we're planning on
using, and then we calculate what the minimum outdoor air rate is
required by whatever code we are using.  we typically use ashrae 62 so
we can reduce the outdoor air compared to the international mechanical
code, save some energy, and possibly downsize smaller packaged units
(when applicable) and since it is the basis for leed compliance points
it is easy to use the ashrae/leed provided spreadsheet -so we've killed
2 birds with one stone.  calculated minimum outdoor air per 62, and have
a speadsheet to show leed/plan review compliance for the minimum outdoor
air rate.

so now we have a minimum calculated outdoor air rate, per ashrae 62.
in packaged/vav systems does this number constitute the minimum outdoor
air rate we are designing to? i think we would agree if 100 cfm were
required, and we provided 100 cfm, then the minimum design rate is the
same as the provided design rate.  but if 100 cfm were required and we
were to provide 130 cfm because we are designing the system to obtain
one leed point from ieqc2 are we designing to 130 cfm as a minimum?  or
designing to 100 cfm as a minimum because that is the requirement we
start with to get to 130 cfm as 30% more?

but the key for intent, i think, is more obviously when you're using
non-mechanically cooled systems like evap coolers.  evap coolers are
sized (typically) on volume to create an air change rate of 2.5 to 3
minutes.  going back to my previous email, if you use ashrae 62
calculations and find you are only required to provide 2,000 cfm of
outdoor air but you are designing an evap system that "requires" 100% of
outdoor air at 20,000 cfm based on the volume of the space and the air
change rate, what is the minimum you are designing to?  you know you're
designing to the 20,000 cfm to have a properly sized evap cooler.  but
if you use 20,000 cfm as the outdoor air rate in your baseline
simulation the equipment size in the simulation is now a 50-ton unit
just in airflow capacity.  since 90.1 requires the baseline units to be
sized per load this is now making the baseline load the outdoor air rate
and not a reflection of the heat gain through the building envelope and
from equipment/people.

so imho the intent is to size the baseline on the ashrae 62 calculations
for the minimum required outdoor air rate.

i received a response from the usgbc support desk on this before & will
look it up again to see what their exact language was - it concerned the
use of evap coolers and outdoor air rates but it was what pointed me in
the direction that the baseline outdoor air rate could be lower than the
proposed based on what was required.