[Bldg-sim] Loads to Energy Model

John Eurek redmodeler at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 13:24:47 PDT 2011

Will

Turning a file you used for load calculation and equipment sizing into an energy model is not a quick thing.  Having the loads done is not half way.  You now need to make schedules for lighting, equipment & people, get the 8760 weather file, find out energy cost in the area, input equipment information and a few more quick things as indicated in ASHRAE 90.1.

I explain it to people by saying 'Doing load calcs for equipment sizing is like taking 2 pictures, one in the summer and one in the winter.  Making an energy model is like making a full length movie with special effects.'

And don't forget that you need to make 2 full length movies, one which will be build and then spend time on an another pretend building (baseline) to compare it to.

Good luck man.  We are here for you.

To answer the question, Yes, I use my Trace file I created for equipment sizing as the starting point for the energy model.