[Bldg-sim] O&M costs (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Fri Jul 1 08:59:15 PDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I was asked to complete a life cycle cost analysis comparing a boiler/chiller
system vs a geothermal system with a water to water heat pump.  I have all
the factors I need except the illusive O&M costs. (I have fuel cost,
installation cost, equipment cost....)

What I have done at this point is to contact the company which will actually
be doing the O&M.  (I went straight to the horse's mouth) but the campus only
has 1 building with a geo-thermal system and it is only 1 year old.  I think
if I can get a ratio comparing the O&M costs of a boiler/chiller vs
geothermal, I'd be done.

Something as simple as "A geothermal system on average costs x% less in O&M
costs compared to a boiler/chiller system...." and somebody to site as to the
value of 'x'.

John Eurek PE, LEED AP