[Bldg-sim] Energy Modeling for Complex Facade

Marcus jones.0bj3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 02:04:59 PDT 2011

I've had a little experience in complex envelope geometry, although I've
never used ArchiCAD or Ecodesigner. Generally speaking though, energy
modeling software can't use curved geometry. Any curved surface has to be
approximated using planar surfaces. Modeling software need this planar
geometry in it's internal algorithms, especially to calculate the radiative
heat transfer and shading.

The approach I have used, for Energyplus, is to manually mesh a curved
surface using many smaller triangular surfaces. There are likely ways to
automate the process if you have very complex and large geometry.

Cheers,

Marcus
--
Marcus Jones, LEED AP, M.Sc.