[Bldg-sim] JWT Q2 - Energy Plus Calibration Experience

David Eldridge dse at grummanbutkus.com
Thu Jul 21 18:19:08 PDT 2011

What’s the level of calibration required?

I’d like to refer you to a paper by Dr. Z. O’Neil from the UTRC about
sensitivity analysis in an EnergyPlus model which might help you focus your
efforts on what to investigate.  This was given at the recent ASHRAE
conference in Montreal on Wednesday morning.

If the requested level of calibration is very high, then you’ll be looking
at a LOT of things…not just from deviations from model subroutine
accuracies, but due to occupancy and use related variances, as well as
developing your model of the control system.

I’d be very surprised if your main obstsacle is accuracy of a model
subroutine compared to ability of the users to provide data and the ability
to capture the actual control system logic.  (Or reflect user
changes/overrides, etc.)

David

*
*

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP

*Grumman/Butkus Associates*

*
*