[Bldg-sim] Basement zones in EnergyPlus simulation

윤정훈 superfig at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:24:57 PDT 2011

Dear All,

I've encountered problems in simulating a building with conditioned basement zones.
I've modeled a 8-story building including two basement floors.
After running a simulation, I opened the eso file to see if the equipment was successfully implemented. However, while all the zones except basement zones showed converged temperature upon heating/cooling setpoints, basement zones failed in conditioning.

Basement zones vary in equipment types: one has fan coil and the others have VAVs.
I assume that the only factor that brings about the problem is the fact that these zones are underground.
(I even 'elevated' the model simply to eliminate the underground part of the building, and every single zone succeeded in conditioning.)

Q. Is there a particular object I need to add in order to get the right results regarding conditioned underground floors?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

_Jeong

P.S. I am aware of the example file in C:\EnergyPlusV6-0-0\PreProcess, but I'm not sure how I can make good use of the file in this case.