[Bldg-sim] ventilation only & LEED

Jorge Torres-Coto jtorres-coto at mbo1.com
Wed Jun 1 09:22:38 PDT 2011

Christian,

For good or bad, I have ended up modeling many Warehouse Distribution
Centers, which in essence have a very small front office and a very large
warehouse that is only ventilated (by code).  I have had to argue with LEED
reviewers this point, fortunately successfully.  The warehouse area is by
definition "unconditioned space", just like Nick states.  Though you still
have to model an HVAC system per ASHRAE, but spreading the setpoints
basically to outside air design conditions.  The reviews I have had have
made it through this way.  By doing this with the setpoints, you will not
have any unmet hours.  But you are still providing the right amount of
ventilation air per 62.1 and the right power for all the fans.  The office
is a totally different story, which you pretty much know the answer to.

I have had the comments go both way on the following.  Since the Warehouse
is not conditioned I had one reviewer tell me to change the Baseline HVAC
system to packaged units due to the fact that the only conditioned space was
a tiny 10,000 sq.ft. space.  Other reveiwers have left me keep my standard
ASHRAE System 8 baseline with the modifications mentioned above for the
warehouse area. (I usually utilize two air handlers: one for warehouse and
one for offices).

Jorge E. Torres Coto

4830 Viewridge Ave.

San Diego, CA 92123