[Bldg-sim] ventilation only & LEED

christian stalberg cstalberg at naturalintelligence.us
Fri Jun 3 03:28:36 PDT 2011

After almost seven weeks wait, we finally received a response from USGBC. I
post it below for the benefit of all:

Thank you for your technical customer service inquiry regarding LEED-NCv2.2.
Thank you for your technical customer service inquiry regarding LEED-NCv2.2.
Yes, as unconditioned space, these enclosures may be modeled without heating
or cooling.  The inquiry further explains that energy savings are being
taken for these ventilated only areas based on the proposed high efficiency
fans and louvers provided. Note that in the unconditioned space, the
ventilation fans should be modeled identically in the Baseline and the
Proposed case, as process energy use.  In the Baseline case, the fans may be
modeled with the minimum motor efficiency as required by ASHRAE 90.1-2004,
Table 10.8, and they should be modeled in the Proposed case with the motor
efficiency as designed.  Also, note that the fan schedules should be modeled
identically in the Baseline and Proposed case.   If the fans as designed are
controlled by air temperature; the Baseline fans should be modeled to
operate in the same manner.

If any further savings are anticipated by additional energy efficiency
measures for the ventilation fans, these should be modeled using the
Exceptional Calculation Methodology. A narrative should describe all
Baseline and Proposed case assumptions included for this measure, and the
calculation methodology used to determine the projected savings. The
narrative and energy savings should be reported separately from the other
efficiency measures in the template, Section 1.7. The Baseline case
description should verify that the efficiency measure is not standard
practice for a similar newly constructed facility by referencing a recently
published document, utility incentive program that incentivises the
equipment installed, or by documenting systems used to perform the same
function in other newly constructed facilities. Savings associated with the
Proposed case measure should also be justified with published or monitored
data.