[Bldg-sim] Balcony Heat Loss

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Fri Jun 17 07:42:28 PDT 2011

Aaron,

Uninsulated assemblies are discussed in the User's Manual for ASHRAE
Standard 90.1. Page G-14 of 90.1-2010 User's Manual suggests:

"It is acceptable to model [projecting balconies] as having the depth of
the exterior wall they penetrate. For example, if the wall between the
intermediate floor slabs has a total depth of 8 in. (203mm), then these
assemblies can be modeled as being 8 in. (203 mm) thick. If the concrete
slab that forms the projecting balcony or intermediate floor slab for a
particular floor is 9 in. (229 mm) thick, then this section of the all
would be modeled in the proposed design as a 9 in. (229 mm) high
uninsulated concrete wall that is 8 in. (203 mm) thick."

Regards,

Bill