[Bldg-sim] Simulating Curtain Wall in Energy Plus.

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:10:43 PDT 2011

Srishti,
I have no experience of the Therm/ LBNL Window link that you speak of
but as long as you're happy with working within the limitations of the
E+ shading calculation you should be fine. I'm not sure of the latest E+
but the main historical limitation I'm aware of is that solar gain to a
zone is absorbed by the floor (with some specific exceptions). This is
expedient for most simulation tasks but will not suffice if you wish to
model solar penetrating through subsequent zones (within a double sheet
facade, where the cavity is modelled as a zone for example). The E+
documentation is extensive and covers this in detail.
There are a number of options for the type of solar calc undertaken.
There are also options for convection coefficient. You may find both of
these affect results and simulation time.
Good luck
Chris

On 10/05/2011 06:58, srishti srivastava wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I am Srishti Srivastava from India. My research topic is related to
> evaluation of different types of facades in Indian context with
> special reference to the modern glazed facades.
>
> I am trying to simulate a building with curtain wall in Energy Plus. I
> know of one way of doing it through Window and Therm software from
> LBNL, although there are few issues in that. Is there any alternative
> way to simulate curtain wall in Energy Plus.
>
> Does anyone have a prior experience of simulating curtain wall in
> Energy Plus. Can anyone help me in simulating a curtain wall in Energy
> Plus.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Srishti Srivastava,
> India.