[Bldg-sim] [Ibpsausa] DOE Job Task Analysis for Energy Modelers: Open for public comment until Nov. 28th

Doug Hittle hittle at colostate.edu
Thu Nov 17 12:17:21 PST 2011

I would like to be grandfathered in please. Who is scrutinizing this
document (proposed regulation?) at ASHRAE headquarters? Have you had any
input from ASHRAE?

If you were to do a jta for President of the United States it might not be
so lengthy as the one for building energy modelers. (And, a lot of folks in
the current primary would be automatically excluded). Is it possible that
we have the cart before the horse? Perhaps we need a jta for building
architects and building design engineers of which energy modelers could be
a subset.  I am sure that if DOE proposed a regulatory test procedure for
architects and engineers there would be plenty of comment.

I've looked at the document. What caught my attentions was the list of
"skills and abilities." These included such thing as "time management
skills," "critical thinking," and  "spatial skills."  Assuming that the
goal is to define *measurable* skills, we might want to give energy modeler
want-a-be s the SAT again.

Then I saw "common sense" and "patience" as skills and abilities. Now, not
withstanding the jta, I consider myself a competent modeler of buildings
and their energy systems. We don't need to vote on that but I also am
reasonably sure that "patience" has only recently kicked in as a personal
skill (maybe I am being optimistic). How are we going to measure the
"common sense" of someone who wants to apply to be an energy modeler?

Dr. Roth, it is not clear that very many in the building sciences field are
aware of your project, its history, and potential impact. Perhaps you could
get on the agenda at an upcoming ASHRAE meeting and explain the process and
your intent for the project outcomes.

Respectfully,
Doug Hittle