[Bldg-sim] Energy Modeling of Composite Structural Insulated Panel Systems?

Brian Strombotne bstrombotne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:00:48 PST 2011

Hi everyone:  My name is Brian Strombotne.  I recently joined IBPSA  USA
with the intent of helping an innovative building systems manufacturing
client find an Energy Modeling firm that will simulate the performance of
his Composite Structural Insulated Panel building system.  My client is a
Texas based manufacturer of a very unique, composite skinned - fiberglass
reinforced thermoset - structural panel and sheathing systems with a
polyurethane foam core - R-26 in 4-1/2" thick panel.  The composite skin
acts as the structural member as well as the air barrier, vapor retarder and
drainage plane - no house wrap is needed.   The panels and sheathing have
undergone extensive testing with Radco in California in order to achieve an
ICC-ES report.  Currently, there are not any prototype houses or buildings
to conduct actual energy performance tests - blower door tests for example -
only the ASTM and ICC-ES testing at this stage.

The Composite SIPS - C-SIPS are attached to each other using an Fiberglass
Reinforced Thermoset "H-Stud" - screwed through the panel's skin  - then the
joint is sealed with a marine adhesive and a 3M Flashing Tape.  Connections
are made at the top and bottom plates with an FRT plate rather than a 2 x 4.
The FRT joint connection materials are manufactured by Bedford
Thermoplastics and have tested, measured performance with ASTM reports, etc.
All adhesive and sealants or flashing tapes are manufactured by 3M or
Venture Tape and also have the appropriate and required ASTM reports or
ICC-ES reports.

My fundamental question is this:  is there a method or approach to simulate
the energy performance of a complete home including these "wall assemblies"
with composite skins, joint and top and bottom plate FRT materials?  Or for
a typical home as compared with 2x4 walls or other conventional wall
assemblies?  My client has reached out to numerous energy modeling firms and
no one seems to have the ability or interest in modeling anything other than
an existing wood / steel / fiberglass or foam  wall assemblies where an
existing number is plugged into the simulation model and it calculates the
results (I know it's not that simple).

If your firm has a methodology or process for modeling complex material
systems will you please email me and let me know your thoughts and
capabilities?  I'll share my client's web site and contact information so
you can begin a dialog on process, outcomes and costs.

Thanks for your help and consideration.

Best, Brian

Brian Strombotne

BPS Media