[Bldg-sim] [Ibpsausa] DOE Job Task Analysis for EnergyModelers:Open for public comment until Nov. 28th

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Nov 18 11:42:58 PST 2011

Hey Will,

I posed similar questions to an individual who started his career in mechanical systems consulting well before I was born.  His perspective is that energy-conscious building design has come into vogue and receded in waves over time, and will probably continue to do so as the availability of our energy resources become varies in the future.  The difference in this wave, and the reason it’s such a big deal, is that now we have all these fancy computers and software than can answer questions and reveal trends that could not be broached in the past.

I personally think it’s a stretch to suggest energy efficiency was not considered at all in the past few decades.  That may be true of some, but when 90.1 and energy code AHJ’s came along demanding less than 1.1 LPD for office lighting and using economizers where they make sense for packaged equipment and insulting the hot water lines…  many of us simply shrugged our shoulders – it was already standard practice.

I don’t believe anyone on these lists is presently arguing against any of your other points ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers