[Bldg-sim] LEED and existing envelopes

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Tue Oct 11 11:30:34 PDT 2011

Thanks for the responses Anne and Bill.  But this seems ridiculous, and
goes against everything I've done to date.

So if we have an existing building with no windows, and we want to reuse
the building structure/skin (which LEED strongly encourages), we get
penalized for wanting some daylight in the building?

I think all of the references to the "baseline building envelope shall
represent existing conditions" is intended to demonstrate that you can
use existing window and wall coefficients, NOT that you can't add
windows.  But what do I know...

Does anyone know for sure?

GHT Limited
James Hansen, P.E., LEED AP