[Bldg-sim] Representing Hotel Occupancy (UNCLASSIFIED)

Andy Hoover andyhoover at thebestconsultant.com
Sat Oct 29 13:28:49 PDT 2011

Hey folks:

The idea of five schedules or so sure seems to make sense to my feeble mind.
Ask the owner for their, or the hotel management company's occupation
projection and expected event projection and then match that up as well as
you can and have at it.

It varies widely whether or not individual rooms are turned off when
unoccupied based upon many things including but not limited to local weather
(can vary at different year parts whether or not they are turned off between
occupants), local customs, hotel brand/price point, room location in the
structure (low/high, inside/outside and so on), and, none of this deals with
the reality of what type of guest at different week and year parts (business
people tend to get up and leave.).

None of that deals with how are you handling the common areas such as
hallways, event rooms, entry and so on.  Again, dependent upon location your
hallways on floors with rooms may have no units or units only at ends and/or
in stairways.

The real question is what is your goal, projecting to some semblance of
reality or points.  It if is points I agree with the below, what is most
beneficial :).  If it is reality, good luck, because even if you get all of
the above (and many of the companies are very accurate in what they see as
the occupation as that drives their financial decisions) you can't predict
except very roughly what individual room occupants will do.  If you cater to
us old folks it will probably be set warmer than if it is others :) and most
certainly resort versus airport versus hunting as noted below will be wildly
different.

Anyway I suggest speak to the owner/hotel management folks about what their
projections are as they typically project for every night although they may
only want to share weekly or monthly occupancy and ask them if they try to
fill lower or upper or by section/wing first.

Thanks

Andy

Andy Hoover
Principal
The BEST Consultant, Inc.
Cell: 678-793-1159
Office: 678-200-7648
Fax: 678-827-0574
Email: andyhoover at thebestconsultant.com
Web: www.thebestconsultant.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IS INTENDED SOLELY FOR THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY
TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED
MATERIAL. ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION OR OTHER USE OF OR
TAKING ACTION IN RELIANCE UPON THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER
THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS EMAIL
IN ERROR PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER AND DELETE THE MATERIAL FROM ANY
COMPUTER.