[Bldg-sim] Innovation-In-Design credit for Peak Demand Reduction NOT demand response

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Tue Sep 6 13:36:25 PDT 2011

Debra,

My first reaction is that if you break out the demand charges from the utility rates you use for Connecticut you are going to reward any demand reduction with EAc1 energy cost savings, negating the need or justification for an ID point.

Regarding how to calculate peak demand savings - assuming you are doing an energy model for the building, and you are modeling the peak-reduction measures, the model will provide results for monthly peak demand reduction. I don’t think average hourly demand reduction and average monthly peak demand values are appropriate when looking at demand savings. It would be more appropriate to compare 12 monthly peak values for the baseline and 12 (lower) peak values for the proposed design that coincide with the same 15 minute period of the month as each of the 12 monthly peaks of the baseline. It could be tricky to determine exactly when these 15 minute periods should occur if you are not modeling the measures. A good guestimate for summer months would be to take the peak demand periods for each month provided by your model (without the demand-saving measures) and subtract the PV output and daylighting savings contributions at that time of day for full sunlight. I suggest reviewing the LEED guidelines for CHP to determine how to get credit for it, but that is also already covered and I doubt it falls into ID credit territory.

Regards,

Bill