[Bldg-sim] energy savings from 2001 to 2004 90.1

Samuel Brunswick samuel.brunswick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:30:21 PDT 2012

Hi Jill,

I'm resending my reply because it got bounced from the mailing list because
I sent it from my other email by mistake. Sorry for clogging your inbox.

Here's the original:

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) released a report "Analysis of
Energy Saving Impacts of ASHRAE 90.1-2004 for the State of New York" that
compares ASHRAE 90.1-2001 vs 2004. For school buildings in three different
cities in New York they found percent savings in site energy use of around
7%. You can find the report here:
http://www.energycodes.gov/publications/techassist.stm.

 PNNL also did a similar report for some Gulf Coast cities, "Analyis of
Energy Saving Impacts of New Commercial Codes for the Gulf Coast",
comparing ASHRAE 90.1-1975 vs 2001 vs 2004 that can be found at the same
link. They found incremental improvements for school buildings of around
7-10%.

They also recently released a report, "Achieving the 30% Goal: Energy and
Coast Savings Analysis of ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2010", looking at nationwide
energy savings for different building types from ASHRAE 2004 vs 2010. That
one can be found here:
http://www.energycodes.gov/publications/research/documents/codes/PNNL-20405.pdf

Hope this helps,

Sam