[Bldg-sim] Leveraging the Python language in Building Performance Simulation

info info info at pythonpoweredbuilding.com
Mon Dec 3 03:57:02 PST 2012

Dear simulation community,

The Python programming language is well known as a powerful tool in
automation, scripting, and high performance scientific computing. In our
experience, countless hours have been saved in automating building
simulation tasks, allowing us to focus more on creating quality building
models and accurate performance results.

We believe that Python is positioned to make a big difference in the
building simulation community. To get started, we have the following offer:
Send us your scripting problems, and we will solve them for you!

In this phase, we are interested most in small well defined tasks. Example
problems would be;

"In my research, I need to parametrize 100 EnergyPlus files with different
U-Values"
"We need to convert 1000 files from format *.yyy to format *.qqq"
"Our company produces a report for each project, we use Excel to calculate
the average Lux levels from radiance, it's easy but boring after 100
projects"
Or anything else where you think - "I wish I had an intern do this for
me..." (Maybe you are this intern...)

Help us by defining your problem with steps taken and the desired result.
Send them to:
projects at pythonpoweredbuilding.com

For all problems received, we will recommend ideas, methods, and modules.
We will furthermore select 3 projects to solve and feature in our Workshop
during the Building Simulation 2013 conference in France next August
http://www.bs2013.fr/. We will also feature these problems on our website;
http://www.pythonpoweredbuilding.com.

Problems must therefore be free of any intellectual property and will be
open to all. For more information and more about us, please visit
http://www.pythonpoweredbuilding.com. If you are already a convert and want
to get involved, contact us at
info at pythonpoweredbuilding.com.<info at pythonpoweredbuilding.com>

Please excuse cross posting, we will direct further updates primarily to
BLDG-SIM.

Happy simulating,

Marcus Jones, Clayton Miller, and Alan Jackson - Python evangelists