[Bldg-sim] The level of detail in a LEED certification energy model.

David GARCIA-SANCHEZ dgarciasanchez at greenaffair.com
Mon Dec 10 10:28:38 PST 2012

Hi all,

I was looking for the maximum error allowed by LEED regarding the level of detail in the building model.

I have a little bit complex ancient building in a refurbished project. A "Hausmanian" building type with a lot of ancient balconies "closed" by windows (to gain surface). I read from ASHRAE 90.1 appendix G that balconies could not be modeled if we take in account the thermal characteristics of those balconies within the surface.

My question is more in the sense if someone of you have already experience regarding the simplification of complex façade building projects for LEED. In particular,

Is there a maximum error allowed in LEED calculations concerning the difference between model surface and architect surface?

Can we simplify complex facades?  For example this kind of facades:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Az8h4_3fh20/0.jpg

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,

David GARCIA-SANCHEZ

David GARCIA-SANCHEZ

greenaffair

Tel. +33 (0)1 46 03 08 02

Mobile +33 (0)6 78 15 08 09

102 avenue Edouard Vaillant - 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt

www.greenaffair.com <http://www.greenaffair.com/>