[Bldg-sim] RMESE Meeting January 22

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Thu Dec 13 09:05:38 PST 2012

I have a lot of experience with incentive
programs and modelling to energy codes or
standards that do not include any inclusion of
economics - ie. how to define utility rates how
to avoid fuel switching between proposed and
Baseline cases when the Baselines systems can
look significantly different than the proposed
case systems.  Not particularly by choice but more by age.

The Canadian Federal government instituted
incentives for showing energy savings over first
the ASHRAE 90.1-1989 Baseline.  The C2000 program
defined how the energy savings were turned into
cost savings incentives  - I can remember any
modifications to 90.1 but the way energy
efficiency measures were implemented and modelled
or post simulation adjusted.

This effort somehow morphed in the Green Building
Challenge of which the energy model was a very
small component of the overall rating.  Again, I
don't recall any specific modifications to the
90.1 Baseline case but how the proposed was
modelled and how savings were calculated was defined for that program.

Then the MNECB came out with a whole building
performance path.  This was very loosely defined
and the first step was to define the modelling
software requirements, then how the Proposed and
Reference cases were to be modelled.  The first
incentive programs were based on fairly strict
requirements and a "help" system was published to
assist users with the model requirements without
defining any keywords, explicit software
etc.  DOE2.1d/e was available at the time - no
interface at all.  Text editor and debug.

The review process was quite
interesting.  Somehow I had ended up modelling
the first LEED Gold project awarded by the USGBC
in Canada.  This qualified me to review MNECB
incentive models - Proposed and Reference case
soft ware supplement and the help system.

My main point is that incentives typically
regionally based.  The state, or other authority
has to base the incentive program on local,
typical "baseline" construction and
economics.  Appendix G doesn't necessarily have
to be revised to take into account these regional
requirements.  I think it would be very difficult
do modify A global standard to include some
accounting of regional requirements for developing local incentive programs.

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7
Tel. 416-203-7465