[Bldg-sim] Parking lot lighting (UNCLASSIFIED)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Feb 22 15:12:09 PST 2012

Hey John!

Take a few minutes to play around with the slider bars on this web-learning-thingy:  http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

This taught me that (unintuitively!) the "yearly average" in hours per night is actually a constant - 12!  Some places near the poles get long periods with no daylight, but those same locations get equally long periods with no nighttime... it all kinda evens out =).

This should help simplify your approximation approach - sorry I can't offer any Trace-specific advice due to my inexperience with the software.  Hopefully there's some quick way of defining "photocell" controls, but if not and you need such annual variations worked into your model I suppose you could define a latitude-specific schedule for the load manually... I might personally sooner explore whether an eQuest model is time-feasible =).

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers
25501 west valley parkway, suite 200