[Bldg-sim] Cooling Design Calc Methods

Mirza Sajjal msajjal at swinter.com
Fri Jul 6 07:03:56 PDT 2012

Brendan/Jim,
I have also been testing differences between EnergyPlus and other software that use the transfer function method i.e. eQUEST. My goal was to compare the energy consumption differences between the two software with different system types. My first step was to make sure to check that the loads being calculated by both programs were consistent. Overall the results were in agreement when using the ideal air loads system in EnergyPlus. However, once I confirmed that the annual loads calculated by both programs were in agreement I changed the system in EnergyPlus to a VAV reheat system and the annual loads (not design day peak loads) were quite a bit different even though they maintained a similar profile.  I have not figured out what might be causing this difference, could it be the iterative nature between loads and systems in EnergyPlus?

I agree with Jim that what you might be comparing are loads in one program with gains in another, I did the same when I first looked at the results of the test case I was running and was trying to figure out what was causing such a huge difference. Its also very important to maintain the exact inputs in both programs, for example for all envelope parameters, keeping the thermal properties (heat capacity, density) and thickness the same and not just the overall U-value.

See below and attached for some of these results.

WITH IDEAL LOADS AIR SYSTEM:

[cid:image009.png at 01CD5B5E.A71420A0]

[cid:image010.png at 01CD5B5E.A71420A0]

WITH VAV REHEAT SYSTEM:

[cid:image011.png at 01CD5B5E.A71420A0]

[cid:image012.png at 01CD5B5E.A71420A0]

Mirza

Mirza Sajjal
Mechanical Engineer
212.564.5800 x133 (direct)
212.741.8673 (fax)
msajjal at swinter.com<mailto:msajjal at swinter.com>

Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
Improving the Built Environment Since 1972
307 Seventh Avenue, Suite 1701
New York, NY 10001
www.swinter.com<http://www.swinter.com/>