[Bldg-sim] eQuest evaporative pre-cooling

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Sun Jul 15 17:00:45 PDT 2012

Dear Nidhi,
I am not familiar with eQuest, so I cannot help much with the specifics of that program.
About one year ago I modeled an indirect evaporative system (Maisotsenko cycle specifically) in EnergyPlus and had some difficulties which I have noted below.  They may help focus your efforts!

1.            Energy Plus version 6 cannot place the condenser coil in the exhaust of an indirect evaporative cooler.  It can be defined with an evaporatively cooled condenser.  We assume that good results can be obtained by choosing the same evap effectiveness as for the M-cycle and making them both available for the same months.
2.            Energy Plus cannot currently model a VSD secondary / exhaust fan for an indirect evap cooler.  Energy reduction for both a cycling and VSD-equipped secondary / exhaust fan was assumed similar to that experienced by the supply fan.  This is modeled by reducing the secondary fan delta P  to xx%  (varies by climate) of actual.
3.            Secondary / exhaust air  can come only from the outdoors in EnergyPlus.  Thus no mixed air can be used.
4.            Economizer controls in EnergyPlus always look at the outdoor air temperature. We'd rather control based on the temp leaving the M cycle heat exchangers.  This requires a special, climate-specific schedule in EnergyPlus.  Not difficult, but takes more time.