[Bldg-sim] EUI calculation using ECB Method and PRM Method

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Fri Jun 8 11:06:55 PDT 2012

For our projects, we model a "typical construction baseline".  This
model represents the Owner's concept constructed to the average new
construction characteristics based on our experience, input from the
design team and input from the cost consultants/contractors.  The
Proposed design model is constructed to match the teams "concept
vision".  Schedules are set based on the intended programming and
adjusted for typical diversity for such a facility.

We compare these two models as well as give an indication as how the
Proposed design might compare to the "standard" the project might be
trying to achieve - not necessarily LEED.  Costs and energy use
intensity is compared.

The issue with absolute EIUs is an accurate base to compare to.  As
Luka mentioned, it would be helpful to normalize the Proposed design
EIUs to  Portfolio Manager or another source baseline EIUs.

>Arpan Bakshi, LEED AP BD+C
>

>On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Shanta Tucker
><<mailto:shanta.tucker at atelierten.com>shanta.tucker at atelierten.com> wrote:
>Hello modeling community,
>I've always thought that when trying to forecast an EUI for a
>building with a whole building energy model, the better approach
>would be to use 90.1 appx G PRM over Section 11 ECB. While I realize
>that neither one is intended for energy use predictions per se, I am
>curious what folks think about using Section 11. Thoughts? Pros/Cons?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Shanta Tucker, PE, LEED AP BD+C, BEMP
>Associate
>
>Atelier Ten
>Environmental Design Consultants + Lighting Designers

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7
Tel. 416-203-7465