[Bldg-sim] Understanding BEPU for system with 2 stage gas absorption chiller

Anup Rathi anup at kalpakrit.com
Thu Mar 15 01:23:33 PDT 2012

Hello Friends,

I am modelling an office building which is run on electricity generated
by natural gas fired generators (say, NGG). The exhaust heat is being
used to run a 2-stage absorption chiller to provide complete space
cooling for the building. However I have modeled exhaust heat as heat
recovered in a hot water loop which also had to be supplemented by a
boiler since eQUEST cannot model it without.

Now the issues are:

 1. Is this a good way to model the cooling? I will appreciate any
    nuances if someone can share those with me.
 2. Understanding of one key utility meter report "EGen" in BEPS/ BEPU.
    Please check out "GG input.jpeg". EGen, ESrp and FInp are allocated
    in the NGG Input box in the tabs electric meter, Surplus meter and
    Fuel meter respectively. FM1 is attached to the hot water exhaust
    coming from the GG Set. EM1 and FM2 are left default without any
    assignments. Another meter "EM3" which is a sub meter to EGen
    utility meter is reporting part consumption of all electricity usage
    in the building, however PS-F report shows complete energy
    consumption as 39XXXXX kWh units both in EGen (Utility) and EM3 (sub
    meter). Now the big questions are :
      * Is EGen and its sub meter EM3 indicating the fraction of energy
        consumption from the  whole or additional amount of energy
        requirement for the building which NGG was unable to provide?
      * If it is the additional energy requirement, then why is surplus
        meter showing any reading?
      * Is FInp and FM1 reporting overall gas consumption by the NGG?

I look forward to any inputs on these issues.
Thanks in advance!
Sincerely,
Anup

--