[Bldg-sim] Off-grid farmhouse modelling for renewables

Gupta, Apeksha GuptaA at bre.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 04:35:08 PDT 2012

Hi Chris,
Found your discussion regarding off-grid farmhouse on the Bldg-sim list very interesting. We are currently doing the design of power and heating system for an off-grid farmhouse in Cwm, Wales. I would be very interested in the approach you have taken to size the systems, sofwares used to model PV or Wind turbine with a diesel generator backup. I have used HOMER and PVsol to do the system sizing. But I am still struggling to accurately model a hybrid-system since HOMER is not a design tool but an optimisation tool. If anyone can share their experiences in modelling an off-grid system would be very useful.

Regards,
Apeksha

Apeksha Gupta
Renewable Energy KTP Associate, BRE Wales
Ethos, Kings Road, Swansea Waterfront, SA1 8AS

T +44 1792 630 109 M +44 (0) 754 894 3314 E Guptaa at bre.co.uk   W www.bre.co.uk
MAP: http://tinyurl.com/brewales

Download the BRE Wales & South West brochure here
See us at Ecobuild, Stand S1430 www.bre.co.uk/ecobuild

Travelling to BRE: see www.bre.co.uk/directions

Privileged and confidential information and/or copyright material may be contained in this e-mail.
If you are not the intended addressee you may not copy or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised
manner. To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies. Thank you.

Building Research Establishment Ltd, Registered under number 3319324 in England and Wales. VAT Registration No GB 689 9499 27. www.bre.co.uk
BRE Global Limited, Registered under number 3548352 in England and Wales. www.breglobal.com
Building Research Establishment and BRE Global are subsidiaries of the BRE Trust.
BRE Trust is a company limited by guarantee, Registered under number 3282856 in England and Wales, and registered
as a charity in England (no. 1092193) and in Scotland (no. SC039320).
Registered Offices: Bucknalls Lane, Garston, Watford, Hertfordshire WD25 9XX - Travelling to BRE: see www.bre.co.uk/directions