[Bldg-sim] EE4 / DOE2.1E - running from the command line

Alex Blue ablue at sustainable-solutions.ca
Fri May 11 10:07:26 PDT 2012

A colleague recently had to make some modifications to the DOE2.1E file generated by EE4 for the first time, and I thought I would take the opportunity to send out a quick how-to for others' future reference.  There's loads of good documentation on the doe2.com site for the actual commands and keywords, but I had some initial confusion in getting the right program pointed at the right files.

First, note that this is for an old version of DOE2.  eQuest runs DOE2.2, and that is the more up-to-date version.  But for those Canadians modifying EE4 files, DOE2.1E is the relevant version.

How-To:

1)      Go to DOE21E folder, open WNT-DOS

2)      In the command line that opens, write: DOE21E exent C:\DOE21E\INP\filename weatherfilename

3)      Hit enter, watch the text scroll by (or not, your call) and open the .sim file to view results or the .bdl file to find errors

Things I messed up and want to share:

1)      If your inp file is someplace other than the file path shown above, input that path instead, mine's just an example.

2)      Use the filename only, not filename.inp

3)      Your filename cannot contain spaces

4)      Put your weather file in the WEATHER\PACKED folder

5)      Don't enter the .bin extension for the weather file

6)      You get an .INP file by saving the .DOE file generated by EE4 as filename.inp (ie. Just hit save-as and change the extension)

7)      EE4 outputs air spaces in layer-by-layer construction as AS-0.x00.   DOE21E doesn't recognize that- change it to AL## (where the two # signs are actually specific numbers, see DOE2 BDL summary version 2.1E page 125 for keywords for this.)

8)      You can use the up arrow key to repeat the text in the last line.

GLHF!

Alex