[Bldg-sim] software

leen peeters l.f.r.peeters at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:50:20 PDT 2012

Madeline,
a lot of software might claim to do all these things. But between claiming
and actually providing good estimations is a world of difference. The main
issue is that computational power is not at the level where a building cna
be subdivided in a trillion nodes that can each be calculated
simultaneously. What is the current general approach is that a zone or a
building material is considered as a single node, sometimes the zonal air
is subdivided in multiple nodes.
To give a good estimation regarding your moisture transport I assume it is
crucial to have an accurate calculation of zonal surface temperature. And
that is extremely difficult: transmission in the building structure can
be wel modelled, radiation could (at least theoretically, but of course
things change as soon as the room is furnitured, decorated and people are
using it) and convection is an even bigger problem.

I would start with some recent projects on heat air and moisture transport,
where ESP-r had been coupled to Fluent (If I remember well).  Check for IEA
ECBCS annex 41. I am sure they have done some analysis of available
software and based their selection on potential to perform the task at hand.

Good Luck!

Leen