[Bldg-sim] LEED base design

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue May 22 08:10:39 PDT 2012

Hi there,

0.       I continue to generally advise against relying on the eQuest LEED compliance features at present.  This feature can be useful for one’s workflow, but only for the sum of modelers willing to carefully review the corresponding guidance that comes with eQuest 3.64.

1.       Strict reading of 90.1 language is the models should match.  If you’re getting at plenum zones however, it could be moot/appropriate for the models to differ in consideration of the system types and their respective return air path behavior.

2.       I haven’t yet) observed completely wrong constructions generated by the compliance feature myself, but can assert my past LEED reviewers have permitted some variance from what’s required/implied for baseline constructions in 90.1.  I feel two competent modelers can come up with different ‘correct’ interpretations for the same baseline construction.  That said, see point 0.  I would manually revise constructions for compliance.  If they really are way off, it could be productive to share your findings with members of the DOE2 development team (findable through the list archives).

Adding to point 0.:  Your “should I manually change…” query suggests you may not realize the compliance features of eQuest do not purport to do all work associated with a baseline model.  Review the associated guidelines carefully!  Help > Tutorials and Reference > LEED Analysis

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers