[Bldg-sim] simulation trend opposite to reality (validation)

Jeff Haberl jhaberl at tamu.edu
Wed Nov 14 10:28:21 PST 2012

FYI.

You should not expect a model to exactly match real data from a real building, unless some very specific things have been done. Unfortunately, residences can sometimes be the worst to calibrate.

The new ASHRAE Guideline 14 will have advice on this, SPC 209 is also looking into this as is the EDF in NYC for multifamily and commercial existing projects to reduce financing uncertainty.

You can find a papers and thesis on our website that discuss efforts by students and faculty in our lab, over the years, for residential and commercial projects, including calibration tools.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E., FASHRAE
Department of Architecture
Texas A&M University