[Bldg-sim] Does 90.1 Minimum Efficiency Requirements include fans?

Larry Degelman ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Wed Nov 21 18:49:42 PST 2012

Felipe,

You may find it of interest that one of the options in the Tables that James Dirkes mentioned is to use brake h.p. in place of name plate h.p. for the fan motors.  Using brake h.p. seems to lessen the burden on the designer by allowing numerous power adjustments based on the various items in the air circuit that cause added friction losses – like MERV filters, sound attenuators, etc.  The adjustments are found in the second table (6.5.3.1.1B).  This is common to both the 2007 and the 2010 versions.

In addition, you might be interested to look at the proposed Addendum BL (for version 2010) that would require the user to remove fan energy from equipment where the fan energy is included in the energy efficiency rating of the equipment, when using Chapter 11 (ECB Method) and Appendix G.  This addendum includes a methodology for removing the fan energy from packaged equipment efficiency ratings.

Regards,

LOD
Larry O. Degelman, P.E., BEMP, HBDP
Professor Emeritus of Architecture