[Bldg-sim] Solar gains differences between Design Builder and IES VE....

Andy Tindale Andy.Tindale at designbuilder.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 07:02:38 PST 2012

David,

One thing to check is the definition of solar gain in the 2 programs. For example, in DesignBuilder EnergyPlus the solar gain reported is the gross solar gain, including any solar heat that is subsequently re-reflected back out of the windows. I don't know the definition of solar gains in IES VE, but if it displays the net solar gain then this might explain the difference, especially in zones with large areas of glazing where re-reflection is more significant.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Tindale
DesignBuilder Software ltd