[Bldg-sim] Modeling an UPS (UNCLASSIFIED)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Oct 10 12:17:52 PDT 2012

Hi Camilo,

John's assessment covers the majority of typical small UPS scenarios I've run into as well.  I caution you to *not* equate the term "efficiency" with losses.  That rabbit hole goes deep!  Nominal UPS efficiencies (such as 97%) typically are referencing a full-load condition.  The number plummets under partial or "no-load" (normal, sometimes) operation.  More food for thought in the resource attached.

For a smallish UPS (serving a few items in a single rack) - John's suggestion to determine a typical constant loss is the way to go.

100kVA is in a threshold that could be something more substantial.  I think you are best advised talking to a rep for the specific equipment you're dealing with to nail down losses/power drawn under *normal* operation (i.e. normal power on). This figure could be all over the place depending on the project/equipment specifics.

Once known, if you understand that consumption/loss to be effectively constant, you could treat it simply as a process load / internal heat gain for the appropriate space, similar to a space plug load.  If the losses are potentially substantial and vary with the downstream draw, as with transformer losses, you might establish a fractional efficiency curve and model the UPS just as a transformer upstream of the appropriate loads, with appropriate scheduling (I'm somewhat familiar with procedure for eQuest, but I expect there must be similar capacity on the energyplus side of things).

I've yet to encounter a modeling scenario where I was asked to include a power outage within the simulation - I expect you should focus on losses under normal operation unless told otherwise.

Best of luck!

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers