[Bldg-sim] Simulation and Natural Ventilation event Sept 20

Holly W. Samuelson hsamuelson at gsd.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 6 18:35:40 PDT 2012

Dear Bldg-Sim,
You're invited to join the event, Simulation and Natural Ventilation, on
Sept 20 from 6pm-8:30pm EST, organized by IBPSA-Boston. This will be
Part One of our Advanced Modeling Series. We are delighting to have
speakers Liam Buckley of IES and Stephen Ray of MIT.  As usual,
the proceedings will be webcast and web-archived. Details below.

*Basics:
*Simulation and Natural Ventilation
Sept 20, 6pm-8:30pm EST
MIT, Building 1 Room 390
Building 1 is on the corner of Massachusetts Ave. and Memorial Drive
(Campus map here <http://whereis.mit.edu/>.)
Munchies provided
Please RSVP to ibpsa.boston at gmail.com if you plan to attend in person.

*Remote Access Instructions:
*We will broadcast the session using AnyMeeting. You may register ahead of
time, which would be helpful to us, or sign-in without registering once the
meeting starts.  The URL for the broadcast will be:
http://www.anymeeting.com/ibpsaboston1 The registration URL is:
http://www.anymeeting.com/PIID=E150DF80814F You will be able to hear the
presentation and discussion through your computer speakers, and to text
questions for the speakers (using AnyMeeting) to our webmaster, who will be
monitoring the remote attendees.

*Presentation Synopses:
*Liam Buckley's presentation entitled “Simulating Natural Ventilation” will
cover a brief introduction to naturally ventilated buildings; why to
naturally ventilate, when to apply natural ventilation strategies and when
not to. Liam will also investigate and challenge the recommended codes and
standards for naturally ventilated buildings. This presentation will
conclude with strategies to naturally ventilate buildings, examine some
case studies and discuss the lessons learned.
Stephen Ray's presentation briefly surveys natural ventilation simulation
techniques before focusing on CFD, airflow network models, and simple
analytical calculations. Specific attention is given to relevant
simplifications, complexities that deserve attention, practical modeling
tips, and advice for effectively communicating results with clients. The
presentation is interspersed with lessons learned from the design of two
Japanese office buildings and various MIT experiments.

*Speaker Bios:
*Liam Buckley – M.Eng., C.Eng. MIEI, ASHRAE BEMP
Liam is a Business Development and Project Manager for IES Ltd.  His
consulting work includes detailed HVAC energy analysis & optimization,
mechanical & natural ventilation analysis, renewable energy systems,
occupant thermal comfort, computational fluid dynamics, daylight analysis
and artificial lighting design. Liam has experience with multiple natural
ventilation design projects on buildings in Europe, Australia and North
America.
Stephen Ray, Ph.D., is an MIT postdoctoral researcher whose research
focuses on modeling natural ventilation (NV) and monitoring a recently
completed NV building in Japan. He has used a variety of NV modeling
techniques including CFD, airflow network models, small-scale models, and
full-scale mockups to aid the design of two office buildings in Tokyo.
Steve worked closely with Taisei, Nikken Sekkei, and Takenaka during these
projects and offers a unique perspective on the use of NV simulation among
Japan’s best design firms. As part of his Ph.D. research, he helped develop
CoolVent, an MIT-designed airflow network model, and validated various CFD
models using both full-scale and small-scale experiments.

*More Info on IBPSA Boston:
*IBPSA Boston http://ibpsa-boston.com/ is a local chapter of the
International Building Performance Simulation Association, USA Regional
Affiliate. Membership for individuals in IBPSA Boston is free. If you would
like to be notified of all our events, please join our mailing list by
emailing "Membership Request" to ibpsa.boston at gmail.com.

Thank you to our generous sponsor, IES, Integrated Environmental Solutions
www.iesve.com.

Warmly,
Holly

--