[Bldg-sim] LEED Canada CS - What to use for Plug Load Density

Aaron Smith asmith at mreng.ca
Mon Sep 10 20:26:54 PDT 2012

Hi,

It is unclear to me how to model plug and process loads for Core and Shell
Projects in Canada.  There seems to be a conflict between Appendix 2 and the
Table on Page 292 of the Reference Guide.  Has anyone else run into this
before we send in a CIR?

The Appendix wants you to use Table 1 plug load densities (i.e. 1.5W/sq ft
for office buildings) for the tenant spaces while Page 292 says to use
values from the standards (i.e. 0.75W/sq ft for office buildings) or provide
documentation for modelled loads.

It's almost like they want you to use the higher value for tenant spaces to
account for unknown plug and process loads in CS projects (server rooms and
resultant A/C, etc.).  If so, I'm not sure if we should still model
elevators, escalators in the common areas or if they are supposed to be
accounted for Table 1.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Aaron

Aaron Smith, P.Eng

LEEDR AP BD+C, M-ASHRAE, Mechanical Engineer

t: (902) 422-7393

f: (902) 423-4945

e:  <mailto:asmith at mreng.ca> asmith at mreng.ca

The electronic message contained herein is private and confidential,
intended only for the recipient(s) specified. If you have received this
message in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.  Any
accompanying files are supplied as a matter of courtesy only.  The data are
without warranty of any kind.  Any person or business making use of the data
is responsible for confirming its accuracy and completeness.  M&R
Engineering Ltd. is not responsible for edited or produced versions of this
digital information.