[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 2012 Energy Modeling Conference Topic for Discussion

Ellis, David David.Ellis at hdrinc.com
Tue Sep 4 13:49:56 PDT 2012

Bill, Jim, Dennis, et al

This is a tough nut. In the ESPC or ESCO world, where performance must be depended upon to achieve financial returns, there are understood and controlling processes in what equipment is bought, how it is installed, how it is maintained, how it is operated and expected duty schedule. Contracts are written to reduce uncertainty to the point that in some cases any deviance, in seemly minor matters, throws the performance expectations up for renegotiations.

While weather changes can be adjusted for after the fact (and thus readily understood as a reason for some differences between real and modeled performance), outside of the ESPC/ESCO arena, a design engineer/modeler can make their best fine tuned efforts on construction intent equipment and operations, to be undone by changes in installation, commissioning, operational practices and occupancy that are not under their control, and are frequently difficult to document after the fact.

In the design arena, modeling is a means to assess options on a level plane, and should not be offered as a predictor of actual cost unless that risk is fully evaluated and compensated for (both in labor/risk fees and in the processes to assure changes are documented). There is a real need to fully vet an industry standard approach to identifying the risks (for fair negotiation), and establishing standards in best practices.

Yes, our modeling does inform sequences of operations, as strategies can be involved, and are a combined designer and modeler effort. They do indeed make their way into construction intent documents ... but implementation and ongoing maintenance are another matter.

A calibrated model is an excellent tool for more realistically evaluating operational and systems changes. But here too, the results should be considered as a way to evaluate options on a level playing field, as control over so many variables is out of the modelers scope.

I would encourage the development of collective industry guidance towards understanding these risks and offering clarification on expectations for client informational purposes.

David Ellis
PE (VA, MD, DC)
LEED AP BD+C
CEM
PMP

HDR Architecture Inc
Energy Services Technical Director, NC

1101 King Street, Suite 400  | Alexandria, VA 22314
703.647.7735 | c: 703.343.6758
David.Ellis at hdrinc.com<mailto:first.last at hdrinc.com> | hdrarchitecture.com<http://www.hdrinc.com/markets/architecture>
Follow Us - Architizer<http://www.architizer.com/en_us/firms/view/hdr-architecture/8916/> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/HDR-Inc/142672125757519?ref=ts> | Twitter<http://twitter.com/#!/HDR_Inc> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/HDRinc> | Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdrarchitecture/sets/>