[Bldg-sim] How the get the "estimated load profile"?

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Tue Apr 16 09:07:06 PDT 2013

First off, I have no idea...

But I would start with the load profile of a building representative of
the median or average age of the buildings on the system, even if I had
to build the model.  Then I would apply that to the central plant,
scaled up to the capacity of the central plant, or where you think the
capacity factor falls.  If I was doing this in Energy Pro, which I use
most often, I might build a "typical" model building and add it to the
model of the proposed building (all being heated and cooled by the
central plant), with an appropriate multiplier to use up the capacity of
the central plant, minus the new proposed building, on a design day.  I
would then consider leaving those "bogey buildings" in the model as I
proceeded forward.  Perhaps (just perhaps) calling them "existing" might
allow the software to ignore them for the LEED calculations.

You could also find out what other buildings are on the system, and
model those.  Probably more accurate than just a "typical building".  If
you modeled all the buildings being provided heating and cooling by the
central plant, that would be a pretty good way to go.

But, like I said, I have no idea.

Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068