[Bldg-sim] Insulate the roof in summer without HVAC system yes or no? COOL ROOFS

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Sun Apr 21 15:44:42 PDT 2013

Graham,
I have only skimmed the paper so far, but the hypothesis is one makes a lot of common sense.  I never gave the roof micro-climate much thought while using EnergyPlus, but I have personal experience of roof-mounted cooling equipment under-performing due to the roof's elevated temperature in the vicinity of an air-cooled condenser.  Thanks for bring the two parts of my brain together!
p.s. a full reading of your paper will follow in the next few days.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com<http://www.buildingperformanceteam.com/>
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653