[Bldg-sim] Updating the 'Contrasting Capabilities of Simulation Tools' White Paper

Dru Crawley dbcrawley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 05:59:41 PDT 2013

Dear Building Simulation Community,

We are beginning to update and expand the 'Contrasting Capabilities of
Building Energy Performance Simulation
Programs'<http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory/pdfs/contrasting_the_capabilities_of_building_energy_performance_simulation_programs_v1.0.pdf>to:

- include more detail on simulation engines and their underlying solution
methods

- explictly separate interface capabilities from calculations

- expand to new simulation domains and scopes of tools
The focus will be on providing as much comparable information about various
simulation engines, interfaces, and methods as possible. We expect
significantly expanded, in-depth description of the various tools.

Why are we updating it?  It's been almost a decade and the journal verison
of this (Building and Environment Vol 43 Issue 4, pgs 661-673) has been
cited more than 450 times.

If you are a software developer and at the Building Simulation 2013
conference in Chambery this week, please find Jon Hand or Dru Crawley for
further information.  If you are a user interested in providing reality
checks for developer-provided information, we'd also like to hear from
you.  If you are not at the Building Simulation Conference, please contact
Jon or Dru by email.
What will the final product be?  We plan an interactive web site, a PDF
white paper, and journal articles.  The web version will be interactive
with links to web sites of the specific tools, links to published papers,
and more in-depth discussion than possible in a white paper. By posting on
a web site, it can be a living document which can be updated over time.

Dru Crawley and Jon Hand