[Bldg-sim] published modeling costs

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Aug 5 10:02:22 PDT 2013

There have been a few discussion in the past across the [bldg.-sim] and [equest-users] lists covering costs and fee structures for energy modeling services.  Attached are a few selected threads that should be worthwhile reads from the bottom-up.  The "Response & Statement..." thread in particular diverged into many different directions (It was a broad topic of conversation to start, to be fair) - a search of the archives will lead you to a number of other responses if you should find the content matter interesting.

As someone who writes proposals, I REALLY wish there were an easy answer, but alas every project / client is unique!  Coming to a reasonable estimate typically requires digging hard at what information is (or will become) readily available, clear definition & statement of expectations, and an honest introspective assessment of how efficiently the modeling staff can accomplish the known challenges, and much the modelers' time is worth.  These are all tricky propositions in and of themselves.

When limited/no resources are available - you have to consider costs of field-verification and creating what you need for the intended goals.  Pricing the costs of developing "what you know you don't know" is always going to involve some educated guesswork.  Anecdotally, I can recall an SD phase exercise exploring building massing for a large renovation, and we had only fragmented info to work from in the way of plans.  After a trip to the site and a walk of the perimeter & courtyards snapping lots of shots from different perspectives, I constructed a massing model in Sketchup from the photos themselves (this is actually kinda fun - here's a video showing the principles of the procedure<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuDoX8SPtU>).  This "SD" model was used directly at that stage alonside the free IES-VE Sketchup plugins, and was later used as a basis for developing design plans and a more involved series of eQuest model studies.  Main point being: this procedure is something I had to develop 'on the fly,' and encountering the same challenge in the future I'll have a good idea of what this entails, but often we can only work from the pool of experience we have and throw together a number that seems reasonable on paper.  If you're disciplined about reviewing the estimates and assumptions you make at the close of a project, you'll grow in your ability to assess and accurately quote future work.

Regards,

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.