[Bldg-sim] Conservative design cooling load calculations vs baseline sizing

Patrick Bivona patrick.bivona at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 20:17:41 PST 2013

Hi,

When sizing cooling equipment for apartments, the design team on my project
used a worst case scenario approach of maxing out all internal loads. For
instance, lighting would be on during the day, with full occupancy and all
plug equipment running, while the sun is hitting the windows. Adjacent
rooms would be considered without cooling.
For LEED, the sizing for the baseline is based on schedules representing
typical operations for occupancy, lighting, plug, etc. That leads the
baseline to size equipment that has smaller capacity than what considered
for the proposed design.
There's an extra dimension, in the fact the design team sized equipment for
each individual room, reaching their peak load at different times of the
day. So the total cooling capacity is the sum of the worst possible
scenarios. The model currently uses a single zone per apartment, with a not
so worst case scenario.
How do I solve this conundrum? Am I missing something?
Thanks,Patrick