[Bldg-sim] LEED - What does it take?

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Mon Jan 21 08:16:38 PST 2013

Hear!  Hear!
Joe's comments about how the rate structure affects savings are worth emphasizing.  These are in place by local utilities for a reason - meeting peak demands is often very costly for the utilities and they pass it on to their customers.  I don't recall the details of a talk I heard at ASHRAE's last Energy Modeling Conference, but I'm pretty sure those peak power plants are also less efficient than the base power plants (which may explain part of the reason for higher peak costs).  I've run a couple of energy models with and without the demand charges and have seen big differences in cost.  That, in turn, has led to more diligence in representing the rate structure accurately in my models.
As a side note, a few years back I was not a fan of locally-generated (including renewable) power schemes because their efficiency was uniformly dismal and it seemed that their only reason for viability was federal government subsidies.  As I've become more aware of the base / peak power big picture economics, I am reversing my opinion.  Compared to running a peak power plant, it seems they can be a very viable economic solution even without subsidies.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com<http://www.buildingperformanceteam.com/>
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653