[Bldg-sim] [Trace-users] Baseline Fan Power with DOAS in proposed and not in baseline

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Jul 25 09:10:44 PDT 2013

Hi Nick,

For hand calcs and to avoid doubled-work, note the LEED EAp2 spreadsheet version updated in the end of 2012 already requires the inputs to arrive at your required baseline fan power, inclusive of the static "credits" which bump up baseline fan power to be on a more level playing field with your proposed systems.  If that spreadsheet is in play and you're still learning the procedure for hand calcs, It would probably be time-efficient to start there and to transpose/re-create those results as you may need to for other calculations.

G.1.2.9 outlines the entire baseline fan power calculation procedure, and the referenced sections and subtext will have you bouncing between here and chapters 6/10 to pull pressure drop adjustments and motor efficiencies.

Keep the system #7 specific passages at the last pages of Appendix G in mind - Your baseline and proposed models feature fundamentally different fan arrangements, so you want to ensure your proposed model is taking full advantage of the relative benefits of terminal fan powered boxes relative to a system with a central fan only.

I'm not personally intimate with what Trace automates these days, but applaud your efforts to understand what's going on "under the hood."  It's a sign of a quality energy modeler, and will assuredly lead you to better results and open doors for your energy analysis tool belt.

~Another Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER