[Bldg-sim] Try "cloud computing" for EnergyPlus

Yi Zhang YiZhang at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Mar 14 17:30:56 PDT 2013

Dear all,

We have still spare capacities to accommodate more users on the jEPlus Simulation Server (JESS). Should you be using jEPlus, DesignBuilder, EP-Launch, GenOpt, or your own code running EnergyPlus simulations, it will be reasonably straightforward to hook up with the servers at De Montfort University and execute your jobs remotely. This will potentially give you a bit more computing power than that of your PC or laptop.

Setting up the link is fairly easy (I think!) All you need to do is downloading a small software package (the JESS Client) and letting us know that you want an account on JESS. This trial is completely free and no-obligation to you. The only hurdles are agreeing to those legal stuff ;-)

Here are the steps:

1.       Check out how it works: http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jeplus/wiki/doku.php?id=docs:jess_service

2.       Log on to the jEPlus website and download the JESS Client (with EP-Launch Support) package. If you are not yet a user, please register here: http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jeplus/wiki/doku.php?id=start&do=register (only your name and email is required)

3.       Send an email to jeplus.services at gmail.com<mailto:jeplus.services at gmail.com>, and request a JESS account.

4.       Depending on your simulation jobs, follow the relevant instructions on the website to set up the client.

5.       We will be quite happy to guide you through the process over a Skype call.

Should you need more information and help with setting up the connection, please feel free to contact us. Please also let us know of your concerns or your particular requirement. We will do our best to help you find a solution.

Best regards,

Yi

Dr Yi Zhang
IESD, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom