[Bldg-sim] underground temperatures Morocco

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Mar 5 12:51:57 PST 2013

Leen,

Barring places with geothermal hot spots, ground temperatures are calculated using a
simple equation developed by the late Dr. Tamami Kusuda at NBS (National Bureau of
Standards, now renames NIST National Institute of Science and Technology) in the early
1970's that assumes a constant deep ground temperature of the average annual air
temperature + 1 K. This equation is basically a sine curve that dampens and lags the
annual air temperature profile depending on the soil conductivity and depth below the
surface.

All that is worked out in any of the processed weather files, such as the IWEC2 weather
files available from ASHRAE for $229 for the entire set of 3,012 or individually from my
company for $35 a station.  For your location (Nador), the closest IWEC2 weather file is
for Melilla 8 kilometers to the north, for which the monthly ground temperatures at 1
meter below grade are:
16.7  15.7  15.6  16.1  18.0  19.9  21.5  22.6  22.6  21.8  20.2  18.4
(converted to Celsius from Rankine in DOE-2 *.BINM weather file for Melilla)

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D