[Bldg-sim] Optimizing a DOAS

Dennis Knight dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com
Fri Mar 22 05:32:42 PDT 2013

Eric,
I have been looking at similar situations in our warm and humid climate for
about three years trying to optimize both DX and water cooled heat pump
DOAS with various combinations of heat recovery (sensible and total) and
have not found anything that can do a very good job of analyzing these
units under all oa conditions and varying return/exhaust air conditions.
I've played around with a spreadsheet solution as well using TMY3 weather
data for all 8760 hours and columns for heat transfer/temperature/humidity
across each device node in the process at each oa condition with fixed
return/exhaust conditions.
I will be very interested to hear/see if we get many responses to this.
These units are a big portion of the energy consumption in k-12 schools and
institutional occupancies in the warm and humid southeast. Thanks for
kicking this discussion off.
Dennis

--
M. Dennis Knight, P.E.