[Bldg-sim] Purchased Chilled Water Systems for DES LEED Modeling

Wahid Hamed wahid.hamed at gmail.com
Tue May 7 06:42:25 PDT 2013

Hi Amit,

As per the guidance for district or campus thermal energy in LEED mentioned
that:

*"In Option 1, the energy model’s scope accounts for only downstream
equipment. *This scenario is modeled in accordance with ASHRAE 90.1
Appendix G requirements with the following exceptions:

   - The energy source is modeled as purchased energy in both the Proposed
   and Baseline buildings for all air handlers, fan-coil units, and other
   downstream equipment serviced by district or campus energy systems .....

   - Where necessary, building Baseline HVAC system types from Tables
   G3.1.A and G3.1.B are modified to be consistent with the purchased energy
   source (Table 3) .... "

So, only downstream equipment shall be modeled in both the proposed and
baseline buildings and Chillers, Chilled Water Pumps, Condenser Water
Pumps, and Cooling Towers (upstream equipment) shall NOT be modeled in
option 1.

If the condenser water pump is part of the LEED building and downstream to
DES, shall be modeled as per ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G. If CW pump upstream of
the building even it's a bosster shall not be modeled and considered as a
part of DES.

Hope that help!

Regards,

Wahid H. Mohamed, LEED AP BD+C ****